RDD specialise in the design development and manufacture of retail POS displays for high street and luxury brands. We are based in central Leicester and have recently celebrated our 10-year anniversary.
Our studio team work at the front end of the process to develop designs supplied by agencies for brands in beauty, fashion, sports, food & drink, electrical goods and more, into technical schematics that can be made into prototypes and then put into full production in our factory. A key role within RDD, the CAD technician will be responsible for generating 2D CAD drawings from 3D model files. The CAD technician would ensure the 2D files are machine ready, organised, and suitable for prototyping and/or production. Working closely with all departments from design though to production and including project management, this is a varied role with much opportunity to progress within the business.
Roles and responsibilities:
Working predominantly within the development and prototyping teams, the CAD Technician will have six core areas of responsibility:
- Design Working with a range of materials and manufacturing processes you will assist in bringing client briefs to life. • Translating Solidworks 3D and 2D files into machine ready drawings. • Manipulating drawings as required to ensure suitability for manufacture. • Organisation of drawings. • Attend and contribute to monthly team meetings.
- Prototyping • Work with the prototype team to ensure prototypes are made as per the design. • Ensure any changes to the design are fed back through the system (keep drawings up to date). • Along with the prototype team ensure the part is suitable for production. • Assist with the making of prototypes to get first-hand feedback on the quality of the design. • Familiarise yourself with the RDD machinery so your designs are optimised.
- Project Management • Assisting the project management team with the generation of cutting lists. • Manage your own time to ensure projects are on track.
- Production • Be on hand as a technical aid for production. • Obtain feedback from production teams as to the quality of the design from their point of view.
- Health and Safety • Ensure health and safety standards are met and any concerns reported immediately. • Ensure site security is upheld. • Ensure PPE is used as directed by line manager.
- Lean Manufacturing • Implement and maintain Lean manufacturing strategies throughout the workshop and whole business. • Assist in applying principles of 5S to department. • Assist in deployment of Lean tools to monitor, report, and improve on processes. • Work towards the reduction of waste and non-value-added processes
Essential Software experience
• Experience in Solidworks (or similar 3D parametric modelling software)
• Experience of AutoCAD (or similar 2D drawing software)
• Experience of Microsoft Excel Experience
Essential Personal Skills
• Excellent eye for detail.
• Good communicator with good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritise a busy workload.
• The ability to work in a logical, systematic manner within the framework of the business.
• Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
• Flexible approach to business needs.
• The CAD Technician may also be called upon to support other members of the RDD team in areas such as but not limited to prototyping.
Desirable Key Skills and Experience
• Product Design Graduate or someone with CAD skills or experience in the retail display industry.
• Experience within the POS industry
• Experience in manufacturing in particular CNC machining
• In-depth understanding of manufacturing processes in relation to plastics
See essential criteria above
Hours per week
Apply for the job by visiting https://www.leicesteremploymenthub.co.uk/job-seekers/job-application/